Starting near the Waratah Picnic Area on Hartz Road, Hartz Mountains National Park, this short and undemanding walk leads to Waratah Lookout. A great introduction to the beauty of Hartz Mountains National Park, this walk takes you along a gravel track to a viewing platform overlooking the Huon Valley. Take the time to explore the different plants growing along the track as you make your way to the viewing platform. If you visit in December or January, when the Tasmanian waratah blossoms, you’ll be treated to a blaze of bright red flowers. Directly below the lookout you’ll see an old myrtle forest, and uninterrupted views across the Huon Valley to the Wellington Range. Return by the same route. Let us begin by acknowledging the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we travel today, and pay our respects to their Elders past and present.
Before you start any bushwalk ensure you;
• Tell someone you trust where you are going and what to do if you are overdue
• Have adequate equipment, supplies, skills & knowledge for the whole journey
• Consider the impact of weather forecasts, park/track closures & fire dangers
• Can respond to emergencies & call for help at any point
• Are healthy and fit enough for this journey
If not, change plans and stay safe. It is okay to delay and ask people for help.